Welcome to the Ottershaw Social Club Website!
A Short Introduction....
Ottershaw Social Club is a thriving village club founded in 1883. The club can boast a large number of members in the surrounding area in all age ranges, as well as excellent bar prices. The club is extremely friendly, and runs regular events for its members, which are always very well supported. Click here for information on these. The village also has a website. Click here to visit it: www.ottershaw-village.co.uk
If you are interested in becoming a member, please drop into the club and speak to a committee member or a member of staff.
General activities include entertainment on the first Saturday every month, fortnightly quiz nights, Sunday evening bingo, race nights, meat raffles, pool league nights, fortnightly poker school, snooker, darts, pool, cricket, bullion box, big screen TV etc.
Club stewards are Ronnie and Maureen Thomson.
12.00 – 3.00 and 6.00 – 11.00
Open all day from 12.00 – 11.00
Open all day 12.00 – 10.30pm.
Meals are served:
Wednesday – Saturday 12.00 – 2.00pm and 6.00pm – 8.00pm
Sunday 12.00 – 4.00pm. Closed in the evening.
For special meal requests see Maureen.
Opening hours can vary but are generally those stated above.
Our full address is:
19 Brox Road, Ottershaw, Surrey, England, KT16 0HG.
A Street map of our location is available by clicking here (the arrow points to our clubhouse). From there you can zoom in or out.
The club can be made available, free to members, for private functions such as parties, birthdays, weddings, christenings, wakes etc. Call in to discuss requirements.
New members are always welcome, there is a month’s trial membership available. Come in and speak to a member of staff behind the bar, or a committee member.
A Brief History Of The Club...
The Social Club was founded in 1883 as the Working Men's Club under the Presidency of Sir Edward Colebrooke, who also built and endowed the village church. The subscription was 1penny a week. The rules stated that there were no intoxicants to be sold, nor gambling or bad language and no games on Sundays.
The building was designed by Theophilus Allen of Stanyards and opened in 1887 as a reading room, it was paid for by the local gentry and has since been enlarged. It is held in trust for the use of the village.
In 1915 wounded soldiers from Ottershaw Park and Ottermead hospitals were made honorary members and later the British Legion was amalgamated with the club.
In 1962 women were admitted to the club but were not made full members until the late 1980s.
It is now a thriving family club, run by a dedicated committee of members, and is the heart of Ottershaw village's social activities.
(Thanks to H.J.M.Stratton. 'Ottershaw through the Ages')